Monday, August 1, 2011

Chicago!

Now that we are officially living in Illinois we thought we better get to know downtown Chicago, so we took the time to explore!

We have become very familiar with public transportation between the Metra and subway.

Here we are at Union Station ready to start our adventures...


A trip to Chicago wouldn't be complete without trying the Chicago deep dish pizza. I have to say it was the best pizza I have ever had!

For our first venture into the city we decided to go to the historical Wrigley Field to watch the Chicago Cubs beat the Phillies.

Though it was quite toasty outside we loved the game and the atmosphere!

Our next venture into the city took us to the Shedd Aquarium.

We got to see dolphin shows, whale shows, jelly fish and sea creatures of all kinds.



There was a great view of the city near the Aquarium.

We have seen some incredible storms since we have been here and had to take a picture of one rolling in.

We then stopped at the Field Museum.

This museum is famous for having the largest, most complete, and best preserved Tyrannosaurus rex ever discover. The dinosaur named Sue!



We also stopped to see Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears team (our new football team we will be cheering for during the NFL season).

We went to the skydeck also known as the Willis tower (was formerly known as the Sears tower). There was a great view of the city and they had a glass ledge you could step out on to see how far up you really were--a little nerve racking.

For my birthday, Trevor surprised me with tickets to see Beauty and the Beast Broadway show along with a one-night stay in a luxurious hotel in downtown Chicago. Below is the view from our hotel room.


We walked the magnificent mile known for it's amazing shopping and got to see the American Girl Place.

Complete with the doll hair salon, doll pet shop, medical center, luncheon and more.

By smart design the Lego store was just next door to the American Girl Place keeping the husbands, dads and brothers entertained :)

We saw the Hancock Observatory which included a tour of the city's history and a gorgeous view of the city.

Here we are at Beauty and the Beast. I loved it!

The next day we visited Millenium Park. They had modern art displayed throughout the park and an incredible stage where a symphony was practicing at the time.

Here is the famous 'silver bean'

If you look really close you can see Trevor taking my picture in the reflection.

Another great view of the city.

We ended the day at the Planetarium. The Adler Planetarium and Astronomy Museum is the premier public resource for learning about astronomy discoveries and got to see some interesting displays and 3-D movies.

So far we love the city of Chicago and have had a great time exploring. Have we convinced anyone to come visit yet?! We sure hope so-- all is welcome!

Trevor officially started work today and we are now back on schedule and getting ready for our baby girl to join our family!

7 comments:

Larissa Chase said...

Looks like so much FUN Burgs. WOW! I hope you guys are loving it. Love you!

She Loves The Color Pink said...

Chicago looks so fun I'm so jealous you went to the American girl store and that pizza looks incredible!

Shea said...

Fun!! I'm glad you guys got to do all of that and relax before Trev started work. We can't wait to visit sometime after seeing all of those pics :)I hope you are having a great week!

Unknown said...

We'll come visit! Maybe we'll try the pizza while we're there too. :)

Nathan and Lara said...

I love it! It looks like you guys have been having lots of fun. I definitely want to be put on the visiting list...Especially when baby girl comes!

nick and karli martineau said...

You convinced me! I'll be coming soon!! seriously though :)

kimber said...

You're having WAY too much fun out there. I'll bet you don't even MISS us like we are missing you!!

That reflection of Trevor is sooo cool! LOVE it!