This past month has been a whirlwind as we have
been back and forth visiting Primary Children’s Hospital to fix our baby girl’s
little heart. When all was said
and done she ended up having heart surgery this past week to fix a little hole in
her heart. She is doing great and has recovered well! Since I haven’t had a chance to tell everyone individually
about this I thought I would post it on here…it has taken a few days for me to
finally sit down and write it out but things have officially calmed down in our
household and Miss Mayla is back to her fiery self!
After moving back to Utah, I got Mayla into a
pediatrician for her one year check-up and was told for the first time she had
a heart murmur. They said that was common in babies and it would most likely
close up so there was nothing to worry about. After visiting again for her 15
month check-up at the end of December they said the murmur had gotten worse and
wanted a specialist to look at it. We went to Primary Children's Hospital shortly
after Christmas and found out that she had a condition called Patent Ductus
Arteriosis (PDA). While in the womb the aorta and pulmonary artery in a baby's
heart is open so blood can flow through, during or shortly after birth that
closes off and unfortunately, for some reason, Mayla's didn't. Because of this Mayla was going to have to have heart surgery in
order to close it off.
Here we are at the doctor's office doing a few tests. Mayla was not a fan of the doctors and nurses...she has quite the scowl!
We were required to do a sedated echo/ultrasound to do a full examination of the heart, to measure the
size of the hole, and to determine whether she needed open heart surgery or if
this could be fixed with a catheter procedure. Mayla was put under through an IV (which I might add tore me
apart—I may have cried more than my daughter…) in order to keep her completely
still for the echo. We were
grateful to find out that the hole was small enough that it could be fixed
through a catheter. The left side
of her heart was stretched out a bit because it was overworking so the doctor
felt like it was a good time to go in and fix the problem.
Snuggling Daddy after the echo
We scheduled the surgery for two weeks later
and were back up at the Hospital on January 22nd for her
procedure. It was a long two weeks
anticipating everything but we were glad we didn’t have to wait longer. Mayla was again put under
and taken into surgery. They were
able to make two small incisions in her right groin and put a plug in her heart
through a catheter that went through her vein and artery up to her heart--pretty amazing. They sealed off the hole and everything
went very smoothly.
Primary Children's have the best waiting rooms! Mayla was loving all the toys at 6am in the morning!
All dressed for surgery
Dropping Mayla off for surgery :( The doctors and nurses were so sweet.
Right out of surgery
Mayla woke up
groggy and not feeling well and unfortunately we had to keep her laying down
for six hours without moving after the procedure---one of the hardest parts
because we couldn’t hold and snuggle her…. But thank goodness for Sesame Street :) After the long six hours were over we were able to cuddle and snuggle her and she bounced back very quickly. Before we knew it she was up walking around, and feeding herself on mom and dad's 'big' chair.
Feeling so much better!
We had to spend the night
in the hospital and both Mom and Dad stayed in that teeny tiny room and yes it
was a VERY LONG night! But we made
it through!
Snuggling with Dad, ready to go 'night, night' We slept all of about 3 hours....
The next morning Mayla got a few x-rays and the doctor checked everything out. Everything looked good and by the afternoon we were bringing our baby girl home!!
Mayla getting her x-rays...she was NOT happy...she was done with the nurses and doctors by this point!
We are so grateful for the many miracles and tender mercies that have
happened along the way. We have
had so much love and support and have been very blessed as our little girl has
done so well through it all. She
is happy as ever and back to her performing, happy self! Thanks to all for your love, prayers and support. We sure love our baby girl and yes, as a mommy this was one of the hardest things to watch her go through, but we are grateful to be done and over with it all and to have caught it so early on to be able to fix the problem before getting worse.
Just to end on a happy note…here is a cute video of Mayla 'performing' .... this is a common occurrence in our household :)
If she does something great, she is going to
make sure you are clapping and cheering for her. But don’t worry, if you do something great she will make
sure to clap and cheer for you too!
After each hymn we sing in sacrament she claps and yells “yah” (and I
might add her voice is not little and we are one of the only babies in our ward
currently so EVERYONE can hear her) and today after the musical number she made
sure to stand on the seat and clap and yell “yah”. Oh how we love our little Personality Plus!












10 comments:
Oh wow, I wish we had known! I'm so glad everything is okay though. What a strong baby and strong mommy to get through all that! Sending love your way!
I'm so glad everything went well, but I can imagine it was stressful the whole process. Mayla is such a doll!! I love her dancing and clapping. So stinkin' cute! It's so fun to see her personality.
I am so glad to hear that Mayla is doing well. I am so sorry you had to go through this as a little family. Love and prayers sent your way.
I'm glad all went well!! That definitely sounds stressful though.
Aahhh Burgundy I'm so sorry she (and you) had to go through that! It is SO STRESSFUL when your baby is sick in any way. Especially when they need surgeries! Luckily we live close to Primary Children's because it is the best hospital!! She's so dang cute. I'm so happy she got to leave so soon. These kids are amazing how they heal so quickly.
She is so cute! I'm glad that is all over for you!
So glad everything went well. I'm glad you were so close to primary's, they do such a great job with kids. She sure is cute!
Oh my goodness, I can't imagine how hard this was for you and Trevor. I'm SO glad she is okay!! She is such a cutie!
I love all the sweet pictures. Primary's is an amazing place. I am so grateful that Mayla's procedure went well. I thank God every night that Primary's is so close. My Emma would not be here if it wasn't for them. I pray for the doctors every night.
I am so so so sorry to hear about this! I am so behind in the blogging world. I'm so glad it went well. She is so beautiful! Thinking about your sweet family! xoxo
Post a Comment